[cups.general] Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 3 03:38:38 PST 2009

Hello,

On Feb 28 03:02 Axel Braun wrote (shortened):
> I'm printing from an SUSE 11.1 (cups 1.3.9) onto an SUSE 10.3 (cups 1.2.12)
> and get the a.m. error message.
> Web search with big brother brought that in /etc/cups/mime.types the line
> application/octet-stream
> Should be uncommented. In fact this is the case, but I still get the error.

Have a look at
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3054
for background information why application/octet-stream is active
in /etc/cups/mime.types but disabled in /etc/cups/mime.convs.

If it was also enabled in /etc/cups/mime.convs, any unsupported format
(e.g. any binary stuff like the whole kernel in /boot/vmlinuz)
could be printed by accident which results a raw mode printout
which results zillions of sheets wasted with meningless characters.

I.e. when you enable application/octet-stream in /etc/cups/mime.convs
make sure your users know what the actually supported formats are.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex