CUPS on Mac and queues overlapping?

Brett Ussher breusshe at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 17:23:58 PDT 2009

I installed four printer queues on a Mac OSx 10.5 client.  Two are color, two are black and white only.  For simplicity, I'll focus just on the black and white queues here.

The first queue I set via the traditional GUI that comes with all Mac's.  The other I setup via lpadmin on the command line.  Both queues print as they should, which is great.  However, they both have a small oddity when the queue added via lpadmin is present.  Remove the lpadmin queue and the oddity disappears.  The problem isn't one that CUPS can fix directly, but I'm looking for information on how CUPS queues interact with one another.  Just for the record, to appease curiosity, our print server (Pharos) parses the postscript file being sent to the printer and determines how much per page a user should be charged.  The issue is that when the additional queues are added via lpadmin the pricing gets all messed up.  It is not a consistent behavior, removing the lpadmin queues always fixes the issue, but adding them back changes how the pricing gets messed up.  Once again, I know CUPS can't fix this, but understanding how CUPS could influence the other queues on a client might be helpful.  Here is my setup:

queue1:

Queue URL:  popup://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:515/CWPSBWMACQUEUE
Queue Name:  CWPS_Black_and_White_Print_Queue
Queue Desciption:  CWPS Black and White Print Queue
Driver:  Xerox 4500DX PPD file

queue2:

Queue URL:  popup://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:515/CWPSBWMACQUEUE
Queue Name:  test_bw
Queue Desciption:  cwps test bw print queue
Driver:  Xerox 8560DN PPD file (modified to only print B&W)

In the URL, the popup:// is a port that is used by an application that takes the print request and appends to it a username and job name, defined by the user via a popup window.  The job is then routed the normal route to the print server.  I'm certain that the popup:// isn't the issue here and the IP addresses are the same for both queues.  What I'm wondering is if two queues, different in every way except for their URL, can somehow overlap each other causing oddities in the output.

Thanks!

Brett Ussher