[cups.general] cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" - Missing double quote on line 224!

Alnis Morics alnis.morics at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:25:34 PST 2009

Hi,

I just installed a CUPS 1.3.10 and Samba (3.3.8) PDC server on FreeBSD 7.2.
File share works ok, printing works from CUPS web interface ok, and at least
from one of the Win workstations but now I wish to share the printer
drivers, too.

So I installed the cups-samba port, made sure my [Printers] and [$print]
sections as suggested in the cupsaddsmb man page, copied the Win drivers for
my printer to /usr/local/share/cups/drivers, added the root account to samba
and tried to export the drivers to the samba share, but cupsaddsmb refuses
to:

myserver# cupsaddsmb -U root -a -v
cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "hplj6l" - Missing double quote on line
224!

Now, hplj6l is how I named my HP LaserJet 6L printer in CUPS. I installed it
using a ppd file from linuxprinting.org (HP-LaserJet_6L-lj4dith.ppd). CUPS
also seems to have put a file named hplj6l.ppd in
/usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/hplj6l.ppd. I tried to run cupstestppd against the
two files but they pass ok.
Tried to add the two files and hplj6p_4.ppd (a file from Windows driver cab)
to /usr/local/share/cups/model, but no effect.

Now, where does cupsaddsmb look for the PPD file, and where does it get the
funny "Missing double quote on line 224"? Any ideas of what's wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Alnis