cups ignores options

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Nov 6 00:18:48 PST 2009

Helge Blischke schrieb:
> Christoph Litauer wrote:
>
>> Helge Blischke schrieb:

>>> That statement in braces
>>> { /Duplex true def} if
>>> only gets executed if the pdftops utility (called from my filter script)
>>> is configured to force duplex by the respective statement in the config
>>> file. I guess you have set
>>> psDuplex yes
>>> in the config file. You should set this to no (or delete this statement,
>>> as no is the default) and configure the default duplexing using the
>>> respective PPD option so that duplexing is selected by the pstops filter.
>>> Then your "sides=one-sided" will take effect.
>> Helge, thanks for your quick answer.
>> Sadly, I had no option psDuplex in pdftops.conf, setting it to "no" did
>> not change anything. Perhaps you get further when getting more
>> information?
>>
>> Looking in http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/cups/ you will find some
>> files:
>> 1.) pdftops.conf
>> 2.) test.pdf is the pdf-input
>> 3.) test.out is the output sent through all filters, the code that is
>> sent to the printer
>> 4.) test.ps is generated by:
>> env PRINTER=test CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops
>> 123 username test 1 "sides=one-sided" test.pdf |
>> env PRINTER=test /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops 123 username test 1
>> "sides=one-sided" > test.ps
>> 5.) test.ppd is the printers ppd file.
>>

> Christoph,
>
> from your files I infer that you printed the PDF from a Mac OX 10.6 box
> (which uses CUPS 1.4.1, I think) to your Linux box which uses CUPS 1.1.23,
> as you told. And the PPD seems to be from the Linux box (as it is quite
> incommon to have foomatic-rip installed on an Os X box).
>
> The PPD contains the line
>
> *cupsFilter: "application/postscript 0 pagecount"
>
> As (usually) the mime.convs states that tho output from the pdftops filter
> (whatever variant his is) is of type application/postscript, the above cited
> line forces the output though a filter named pagecount, and this is the last
> one. So I suspect this filter sets the duplex option from the PPD, as the
> input PDF as well as the ps files you derived "by hand" correctly do not
> specify duplex printing.

That solved my problem, thanks a lot! The intention was to start the
pagecount-script for any type of postscript document. What I didn't
understand was that there is just one rule I have to define:

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 pagecount"

--
Kind regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2