[cups.general] Print PDF direct to printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Nov 13 02:10:54 PST 2009

Hello,

unfortunately I have no helpful answer but more questions:

On Nov 13 01:01 Christoph Litauer wrote (shortened):
> ... students ... print some PDF
> - the students print 2- or 4-up.
> I wonder wether it would be possible to get a (possibly generic) windows
> driver that doesn't convert the pdf documents to postscript or pcl.
> Instead it should modify the PDF code as to use some printer special
> features (input tray, duplex, color vs. greyscale etc.) and send pdf
> code to the cups server. Then it would be easy to configure cups to
> detect windows generated pdf code and send this code unmodified to the
> backend.

I don't know about the current state of the PDF printing workflow.
In particular I don't know if the current PDF printing workflow
already suports printer specific features (input tray, duplex, ...)
natively in PDF (without conversion into PostScript before).

Even if this prerequisite would be already fulfilled,
I don't know how your request could work with N-up printing?

Is there a simple way to convert an arbitrary original PDF
in a 2-up or 4-up PDF?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex