"lpr: symbol lookup error: lpr: undefined symbol: cupsCreateJob"

Reinhard Reinhard
Sat Oct 24 13:06:43 PDT 2009

> I did a "yum update" this morning. I rebooted the computer and now all printing fails with:
>
> lpr: symbol lookup error: lpr: undefined symbol: cupsCreateJob
>
> Google didn't find this error 5 hours ago. How can I get the CentOS printing to work again?

My CentOS 5.3 printing worked due to logical links from /etc/alternatives to /usr/bin. The mentioned "yum update" overwrote them. I copied the links back and my CentOS 5.4 printing works. But after a "pm-suspend" (from pm-utils-0.99.3-10.el5.centos.386), the printing over the parallel port fails. I posted this problem on http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22688&forum=37