How to create PS-to-file queue in CUPS 1.4, OS X 10.6

Ben BW benbwster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 04:36:47 PDT 2009

I'm trying to use the backend described here:
http://osdir.com/ml/printing.cups.devel/2004-10/msg00007.html

to create a PostScript print-to-file print queue.

However, Snow Leopard and CUPS 1.4 seems to have "improved" security, and I can't get the backend to work.
It has also broken Adobe's PDF-generating print queue -- part of Acrobat.

I'm surprised that it isn't easier to use CUPS to create a PS-to-file print queue, and also that there seems to be very little info on how to achieve it.

The printing seems to work fine, but no file is produced and no errors are reported.

> I think I'm misinterpreting how to implement the bit at the end which says:
>A more advanced "dirwrite" would write into a target directory
> that you specify as a device URI like here "dir:/tmp/cupsfiles/"
>
> The magic line for this would be to use
>
>TARGETFILE=${DEVICE_URI#dir:}

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks