How to create PS-to-file queue in CUPS 1.4, OS X 10.6

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Sep 10 05:02:32 PDT 2009

Ben BW wrote:

> I'm trying to use the backend described here:
> http://osdir.com/ml/printing.cups.devel/2004-10/msg00007.html
>
> to create a PostScript print-to-file print queue.
>
> However, Snow Leopard and CUPS 1.4 seems to have "improved" security, and
> I can't get the backend to work. It has also broken Adobe's PDF-generating
> print queue -- part of Acrobat.
>
> I'm surprised that it isn't easier to use CUPS to create a PS-to-file
> print queue, and also that there seems to be very little info on how to
> achieve it.
>
> The printing seems to work fine, but no file is produced and no errors are
> reported.
>
>> I think I'm misinterpreting how to implement the bit at the end which
>> says:
>>A more advanced "dirwrite" would write into a target directory
>> that you specify as a device URI like here "dir:/tmp/cupsfiles/"
>>
>> The magic line for this would be to use
>>
>>TARGETFILE=${DEVICE_URI#dir:}
>
> Any thoughts/advice?
>
> Thanks

I'm just writing a print-to-file backend (which permits, in addition, to
save the print job in a variety of file formats conveted to by e.g.
pstoany), which changes its identity to the owner / group of the
destination directory of the file to be written. I'm going to do my tests
on both a SuSE 11.1 and Mac OS 10.5, and I think I can release it
for bet testing at the beginning of next week.

Drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

Helge

P.S.: the final version will be published at sourceforge.