Problem with compression=gzip

Conrad Wadds cwadds at civica.com.au
Thu Sep 17 22:20:21 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I have an issue with CUPS 1.3 on CentOS 5.3 when attempting to use an IPP URL with the "?compression=gzip" argument.

The scenario is that we have a Windows servers printing to Samba shares on a CUPS server, both in a data centre, where the print queues are all pointing to remote queues over a wan link.

<---- Data centre ----> <-WAN->  <------- Customer Site ------->

| w2k3   | -> | CUPS |    --->    | CUPS | -> | network printer |

Driver         Raw queue          Raw queue
installed

Where we have multiple customer sites.

I have successfully managed to get compression working to our own office printers, but not to other remote customer sites.

Any suggestions of how to debug this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Conrad