[cups.general] CUPS PPD file for Sharp MX-M350N in PCL mode?

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:31:55 PDT 2009

Hi all,

My work just got a nice heavy-duty Sharp MX-M350N copier/printer/scanner
(http://www.sharpinbusiness.co.uk/specifications.asp?
product_id=945&category_id=16).  After some trial-and-error, I figured out
that this particular model does *not* have the PostScript option
installed, but only understands PCL6.

Now I have it working great over the network using the Gutenprint PCL6
driver with CUPS.  Duplex works, text, images, etc.  The only thing that
*doesn't* work with the generic driver is automatic stapling...

I found some custom PPD files for this and similar printers at
OpenPrinting (http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Sharp-
MX-M350U), but they are only for PostScript mode, unfortunately.  Does
anyone know if or where I can find PPD files for this printer/copier in
PCL6 mode, that would allow me to use the stapling feature?  (I already
tried hunting through the Windows and MacOS drivers for PPD files, to no
avail...)

Thanks!

Dan