[cups.general] Desperately seeking PPD file

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Apr 8 14:26:04 PDT 2010

I'm trying to use an HP OfficeJet J4580
on a CentOS-5.4 machine (an HP ProLiant, as it happens).
I have hplip and hpijs installed,
and when I look for Available Printers in the CUPS web interface
I find the printer listed
But when I try to install it,
the printer does not appear on the list of PPD files.

When I run system-config-printer
the printer is again found,
bug again is not found on the list of PPD files.
This time I choose the generic OfficeJet printer from the list,
and I get the message:
-----------------------------------
URI: hp:/usb/Officejet_J4500_series?serial=CN89C552GR052T
Command set:
No luck guessing from the command set.
Best match is HP-OfficeJet_300, so trying that.
HP-OfficeJet foomatic:HP-OfficeJet-hpijs.ppd
PPD name: foomatic:HP-OfficeJet-hpijs.ppd
Cups PPD
/usr/bin/gs: found
/usr/bin/hpijs: found
/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip: found
-----------------------------------
But as far as I can see, this PPD file does not work;
nothing is printed by "Test Print Page".

I see nothing very helpful (to me) in /var/log/cups/ .

I have seen several references when googling to a PPD file
for this printer; but none of them said where this could be found.
If anyone knows where it can be found I should be very grateful
for the information.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net