[cups.general] cups-error-references

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Dec 2 12:54:37 PST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 4:34 AM, Simone wrote:
> hi,
>
> trying to debug a problem with my Canon LBP5100 that is not printing, I incresed the debug level to "debug" and started reading /var/cups/error.log but I really don't understand a lot of the terminology used by cups.
>
> theese are some of the messages I would like to understand :

These are all debugging messages and do not represent errors or anything to be concerned about.

> - cupsdAcceptClient: 12 from localhost (Domain)

Accepted a connection over the domain socket.

> - cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided

The request is not authenticated.

> - cupsdMarkDirty(----J-)

One or more jobs were updated and need to be written to disk.

> - cupsdMarkDirty(-----S)

One or more subscriptions were updated and need to be written to disk.

> - cupsdSetBusyState: Dirty files

The scheduler is busy doing something and needs to write files to disk.  This is used on Mac OS X to tell the OS whether cupsd can be terminated safely with kill -9 (for fast shutdown/sleep).

> - [Job 9] Auto-typing file...

The print job was submitted without specifying a file type, and so cupsd is determining the type from the contents of the file.

> - [Job 9] Request file type is text/plain.

.... and this is the type it determined.

> Is there an Error-reference-page that explains error/warning?

No, we don't document the messages that can appear in the error_log file.