[cups.general] Unable to get correct printer status

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 4 09:02:54 PST 2010

There is no way currently to monitor the actual status of the printer - doing so would require a constant connection (or constant polling) of the printer in question, which we will not do in the base CUPS software.

There are several open source "availability monitoring" packages you could use for this - just treat the printers as web servers and you can get notifications when printers are turned off.