CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jul 19 04:57:51 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm porting a complete library system from ISO-8859-1 support to UTF-8. The system will not support only one specific language, but many at the same time, because natural language book titles, for example, of many languages are stored in the same database. This only as background.

One area to address in this porting is the printout, of course. So I have installed CUPS 1.4.3 and CUPS-PDF 2.4.5, compiled from source on SunOS 5.8 and as well on SuSE Linux SLES 10.

The UTF-8 text files are just printed to the spool of CUPS-PDF by:

$ /usr/local/bin/lpr -Ppdf file ...

and the result is not so bad for certain European languages; I've placed a copy here: http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-PDF-UTF8.pdf

Certain languages are not printed, for example: Greek, Hebrew, Chineese,...

Questions:
1) What can I do to fix this?
2) Is there some good documentation which addresses the thematic: CUPS / UTF-8 / fonts?

Thanks in advance

Matthias