How do I set the default media size when creating a new printer in Linux?

Dimitri dimitrios.gerasimatos at JPL.NASA.GOV
Wed Jul 28 19:12:28 PDT 2010

I am using both RHEL4 (1.1.22) and RHEL5 (1.3.7). When I add a new printer the default is always A4. I never print A4 and always print US Letter. I have no problems changing the default on a per-printer basis, but sometimes I forget to do that and do not discover it until I've spent time trying to figure out why my workstation will not print. Is there a way to tell CUPS what I'd like my default to be when creating new printers? That is, "CUPS, when creating a new printer let configure it to use US Letter unless I specify otherwise?" I could not find a place to set this once and for all. Configuring it per-printer is a drag.

Dimitri