Help: Custom options PPD behaviour

Mintze van der Velde sic at franet.com
Fri Jul 30 05:55:42 PDT 2010

Hi,
Using the following PPD snippet:
*OpenUI *Mailbox/Boite aux lettres (0-99): PickOne
*FoomaticRIPOption Mailbox: string CmdLine I
*FoomaticRIPOptionMaxLength Mailbox: 2
*FoomaticRIPOptionAllowedChars Mailbox: "0-9"
*OrderDependency: 20 AnySetup *Mailbox
*FoomaticRIPOptionPrototype Mailbox: " -BB=%s"
*DefaultMailbox: None
*Mailbox None/Aucun: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: Mailbox=None"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting Mailbox=None: ""
*CloseUI: *Mailbox
*CustomMailbox True: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: Mailbox=\1"
*ParamCustomMailbox Mailbox: 1 string 0 2

*OpenUI *UserPassword/Mot de Passe (max. 7 chiffres): PickOne
*FoomaticRIPOption UserPassword: password CmdLine I
*FoomaticRIPOptionMaxLength UserPassword: 7
*FoomaticRIPOptionAllowedChars UserPassword: "0-9"
*OrderDependency: 15 AnySetup *UserPassword
*FoomaticRIPOptionPrototype UserPassword: " -UPW=%s"
*DefaultUserPassword: None
*UserPassword None/Aucun: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: UserPassword=None"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting UserPassword=None: ""
*CloseUI: *UserPassword
*CustomUserPassword True: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: UserPassword=\1"
*ParamCustomUserPassword UserPassword: 1 passcode 0 7

and then, through the CUPS web interface setting a custom mailbox of 33 and password of 123 modifies the PPD to
*DefaultMailbox: Custom.33
*DefaultUserPassword Custom.123
When printing without arguments on Ubuntu (9.10 & 10.4) the printout is as expected. - CUPS 1.4.1 & 1.4.4 resp., foomatic-rip 4.0.3.215 & 4.0.4.217 resp.)
When printing from Fedora13 printing is NOT correct: It sets litterally Mailbox=\1 and Userpassword=\1 without substitung the contents of the variable. It complaints about "Custom" being too long.

Another problem, on both Ubuntus & Fedora:
When executing "lpadmin -pfoo -o Mailbox=Custom.44",
ALL Custom.xxx strings are replaced by Custom -i.e. without a value. Also the UserPassword Custom.123 string is replaced by Custom, without any value.

Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice on these matters will be greatly appreciated.
I do have the error_log files, if necessary.
Thanks,

Mintze