[cups.general] text printing wrapping after 83 characters - RHEL v5.4 - laser printer - postscript drivers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 08:58:31 PDT 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010, Charles Kaltwasser wrote:
>RedHat Linux v5.4
>CUPS 1.3.7
>HP LaserJet 4000 N
>
>I'm trying to print text lines with 132 characters of data.
>
>When I change the CPI to greater than 10, the wrap still occurs at 83
> characters.  Increasing the margins reduces the characters per line
> proportionately.
>
>Looks like the CPI scaling occurs after the wrapping function.
>
>Have tried using wrap=false and nowrap=true with no change in the results.
>
>Problem also occurs on Konica-Minolta printers so I suspect the issue is
> with CUPS on RHEL.
>
>Any suggestions of where to look next?
>
>Lynn Kaltwasser
>Calvert County Government

This may not be a lot of help, but I routinely pass the cups version of lp
the option for up to 17 cpi and 7 or more lines per inch, this to contain on
one page on a printer with hard borders, the 132 column wide output, and 64
line long page format of a legacy computers assembler when it is given that
option in order to preserve as much of the comment portion of the line as I
can.  The scaling is excellent, BUT the 132 column width must be done at the
source of the text.  In this case I am driving a cheap Brother Laser printer,
but I could also get the same results and have when feeding that file to an
epson ink squirter.

Current cups version here is 1.3.4 IIRC, old F10 box.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)