[cups.general] Very slow document printing.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Sep 15 00:59:29 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Sep 14 09:53 upscope wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
>> To analyze the printing output from a particular application,
>> disable printing for the queue via "cupsdisable <queue_name>"
>> then print from the application so that the application's
>> printing output stays as CUPS spool file
>>    /var/spool/cups/d<job-number-file-number>
>> until you re-enable printing "cupsenable <queue_name>".
>
> It maybe I have not waited long enough in past.

If it takes a long time until the printing output from a particular
application appears as CUPS spool file, it is first and foremost
the application which needs so much time to produce its printing
output which usually depends on the application's input data.

Afterwards (after "cupsenable <queue_name>") the printing system
may actually print it quickly or also need much time to print it
depending on the size and content of the application's printing
output and depending on the used printer driver and its settings
for this particular print job e.g. low resolution b/w printout
versus high resolution photo quality printout.

Finally depending on which printer model is used, the printer
may actually print it fast or also need much time to print it
depending on the size and content of the printing system's
printer-specific output and depending on the available memory
and computing power inside the printer and its mechanical
capabilities (low-cost printer versus high-end PostScript printer).

You may have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
Though 1200 dpi provides hardly any visible improvement
over 600 dpi, it consumes four times as much CPU performance
and memory than 600 dpi.
A bitmap image at 1200 x 1200 dpi consumes 16 times more memory
than it would at 300 x 300 dpi. A color depth of 32 bits
consumes 32 times more memory than 1-bit b/w mode.
Accordingly, a bitmap image at 1200 x 1200 dpi
and 32-bit color depth consumes 500 times more memory than
the same image in 1-bit b/w mode at 300 x 300 dpi resolution.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex