[cups.general] How do I get lpstat to show me the actual filenames being printed?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Sep 28 08:26:14 PDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 4:10 AM, John Dunn wrote:
> Is there any way to get lpstat show me the real name of the files that are being printed?  i.e for printer TestPrinter this is all I see. No mention of the actual filename being printed.

Sorry, the standard System V output does not include the job title and we are emulating that command.

> Other versions of lpstat (e.g on AIX) always show the actual filename

Strange, since AIX *is* a "real" UNIX and I don't actually remember seeing filenames back when I worked on AIX.  The Solaris, IRIX, and HP-UX lpstat commands do not show the filename.

That said, you can request this functionality by filing a bug here:

    http://www.cups.org/str.php

Keep in mind that we don't actually know the original filename, just the title of the job which defaults to the basename of the file being printed or "(stdin)" if printing from the standard input.