[cups.general] Raw Printing Doesn't work...

Chris cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Tue Apr 26 14:51:53 PDT 2011

>> From your error_log snippet I see that the printer accepted the whole bunch
> of data. And, as the printer is supposed to print plain ascii text, I
> suspect that it needs some control code at the end of the text, maibe a form
> feed character or even an eof character (whatever that may be).
>
> Note that, with your raw printing setup, there is no instance to tell the
> printer the raw data are complete and ready to print.
>
> Helge

Helge,

Thanks for your response.

I believe you.  However, this isn't my setup... it is standard
CUPS/Debian, using the web interface and choosing the raw print
driver.  That's it.  I didn't tinker under the hood whatsoever.  It is
100% stock, untampered with.  I've tried now on two independent
systems with 3 known-working printers.  The results are always the same.

So, it must be either a CUPS or Debian issue... the question is, is it
a bug?  Or is is default misconfiguration?  There is no documentation
on the matter, so I don't even know where to start.

If it isn't getting an EOF, then how do we give it one?  What could
account for this issue?

Thanks again.

-Chris