ServerName not advertised correctly

Inanc G inanc.g at web.de
Tue Feb 1 03:03:15 PST 2011

Hello,

we are currently running our CUPS Server (Version 1.4.4) on a debian squeeze machine. Printing and User Verification works, but we have some problems with ServerName and printer advertisement in the network.

Printers are advertised with the server's IP address (e.g. http://123.456.7.8:631/printers/printer1?encryption=required) and not with the ServerName alias (e.g. https://myprintserver.mydomain.com:631/printers/printer1?encryption=required) even though the ServerName is set in cupsd.conf (see below).
The servername alias we want to be advertised is also set in /etc/hosts.
This also leads to SSH certificate problems, since the certificate is only valid for the FQDN.

Does anyone know how we solve that?

Our cupsd.conf:

LogLevel warn
MaxLogSize 1m
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow from none
BrowseDeny from all
#BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
BrowseRemoteProtocols none
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols cups dnssd
BrowseLocalOptions encryption=required
DefaultAuthType Basic
DefaultEncryption Required
ServerAlias *
ServerName myprintserver.mydomain.com
ServerCertificate /etc/cups/ssl/mycrt.crt
ServerKey /etc/cups/ssl/mykey.key
SSLPort 443