[cups.general] "client-error-document-format-not-supported"

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Feb 7 02:56:18 PST 2011

John Meshkoff wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>>John Meshkoff wrote:
>
>>> Hello, I'm having difficulty getting an Epson Photo R300 working
>>> properly. Cups 1.2.6, on Vector Linux 5.8.
>>>
>>> uname -a
>>> Linux linus.inet 2.6.18.5 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 9 19:01:25 MST 2006
>>> i586 k6-2 i386 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>> The application is Gimp-Print Version 4.2, using "lpr" as the print
>>> command, there is no print output to the printer.
>
> <snip>
>
>>The printer's XML description of the (most) recent foomatic package
>>states that Gutenprint 5.0.x at least is needed to support this
>>printer.
>>
>>I guess you need to upgrade your Gimp-Print to Gutenprint 5.0.x
>>(current
>>is 5.32.6).
>>
>>Helge
>
> I'm somewhat unclear here; Gutenprint 5.0.0 is installed. Should
> Gutenprint be replacing Gimp-Print in the Gimp print-dialog? If so, I
> don't see any method for changing the Gimp configuration to use it.
>
> I've downloaded 5.2.6 from gutenprint.sourceforge.net, and compiled but
> have not yet installed, until I understand the gimp-print/gutenprint
> relation here.
>
> Thanks, John

Now I see you are printing from the Gimp application. More recent versions
of the Gimp come with a built-in CUPS interface and no longer need to call a
command line utility (current Gimp is 2.6.x).

But as you told your Gimp writes PostScript print jobs, could you please set
your CUPS to debug-logging, print a sample and post (an URL to)
a) the chunk of the cups error_log containing the messages related to the
sample job,
b) the sample file,
c) the mime.types and mime.convs file(s) your cups uses?

I think it should be possible to configure CUPS to properly filter your job.

Helge