How to configure CUPS in FreeBSD to share Windows printer?

frankpeng frankpeng at netscape.net
Thu Jan 13 18:07:53 PST 2011

Hi,
I just installed Samba on FreeBSD 8.2(AMD64). It works. I installed CUPS and started. I connected it from another computer http://192.168.1.1:631. But I cannot add a printer which is shared in the Windows XP computer.

This is my configuration in smb.conf

printing = cups

This is my cupsd.conf

LogLevel warn
SystemGroup wheel
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowsePoll 192.168.1.1:631
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow 192.168.1.
  </Limit>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow 192.168.1.
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow 192.168.1.
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow 192.168.1.
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow 192.168.1.
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow 192.168.1.
  </Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
[...]

The printer installed on my Windows XP computer is a Brother MCF6490CW via USB port. Now I want to share this printer to all computers in the local network.
Please help me to configure this situation.

Thanks a lot!