[cups.general] cups 1.4.6 and network printers

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 17 19:20:36 PST 2011

On Monday, January 17, 2011 09:56:09 pm Michael Sweet did opine:

> On Jan 17, 2011, at 12:09 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> > It is supposed to Cynthia, else you would have to run it every time
> > you wanted to print something.
>
> Gene,
>
> Normally cupsd is *not* running on Mac OS X, and hasn't for a long time.
> Instead, we launch-on-demand whenever somebody connects to one of our
> ports via the launchd service. The only exception is when printer
> sharing is turned on or you are using CUPS browsing on a client (since
> cupsd needs to be running to see the printer advertisements from the
> servers...)

I see Michael, I was not aware that the linux and mac versions have
diverged that much.  I will keep it in mind.

> > I also snipped about 8.5 kilobytes of useless html code which your
> > email agent did not properly mark with mimetype and is mostly junk
> > text to a text-base email agent.  Please do not post html encoded
> > emails to any mailing list.  It adds bulk to the message, and if not
> > accompanied by plain text, will usually be ignored by most folks as
> > it is rather hard to pick your message out of the html formatting
> > codes it is buried in.
>
> WRT HTML email, we don't block or discriminate based on your choice of
> format. Most email programs can handle HTML just fine these days, and
> certainly somebody that is asking a question can't be expected to know
> the preferences of individual mailing list readers.

I don't mind it that much either, when it is properly MIMEd so kmail (or
any MIME compliant email agent) can hide it, which that OP's email was not,
no separator between the two formats to identify it as such.  That is
indistinguishable from a broken email agent.  But I didn't look at the
header to see what agent it was since it seems to have fallen out of favor
for the headers to include the name and version of the agent that generated
it.  From other clues in the message body, I would presume it was generated
by AppleMail.

This is a snip of the header of that message showing the only MIME