poster/tiled printing in MacOSX 10.6 - how to enable?

Bill Kalarness redpanda05 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 07:48:41 PST 2011

Does anyone know how I could enable poster printing (sometimes also called Tiled printing) in MacOS X 10.6?

I recently bought a Canon printer and do not see any poster printing options... this is where the image is printed across multiple sheets of paper, and these are then assembled to create the final image.

According to Canon support - their driver does have this functionality, but it is not visible because Apple does not provide this capability to users.

I have now had a conversation with Applecare Support, where I was told that I needed a third-party application for this non-standard feature.

Can I enable this through CUPS?  Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
-Bill