Cups 1.3.7 and Sieko SLP450 Label Printers

Scott Hallenbeck 7h33y3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:31:40 PDT 2011

> Scott Hallenbeck wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Ok, turning off the error reporting in the script worked fine.  Only issue
> > I have now is that the fonts are not correct, and need to be fixed.
> >
> > Tried and tried to get the 'xpdfrc' file fix that you recommended to work,
> > but it seems no matter where I put it, it has no effect.  I put it in
> > /root/.xpdfrc, /etc/xpdfrc and /etc/xpdf/xpdfrc (according to RHEL
> > documentation which is apparently incorrect anyway) and it has no effect.
> >
> > I looked at the alternate pdftops script you directed me to, but was
> > unsure just what to do with the file, and since it's a live production
> > server I am not into experimenting to figure it out.  And since it seems,
> > from what I can tell, it would be a global wide change, I wasn't sure what
> > other implications it might have.
> >
> > I feel I am close as the labels do print, but the fonts are not correct,
> > so if I can figure that part out, I will have it.
> >
> > Scott
>
> As for the fonts, there is nearly nothing what can be done but installing
> all the needed fonts, as obviously the needed fonts are not embedded
> in the PDFs you print.
>
> See if you have a utility named pdffonts; if yes, run
> pdffonts your_pdf_file
> and post the output.
> If not, send me a sample PDF.
> Maybe I can give you some hints where to get the fonts and how to make
> Ghostscript find them.
>
> Helge

[root at atl-prodcups03 testprints]# pdffonts label-printest.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
TimesNewRomanPSMT                    TrueType     no  no  no      13  0
TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT               TrueType     no  no  no      14  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1       no  no  no       2  0

I was researching this, and thought there was a way to get them in there, but any direction you can provide would be most appreciated!
Thanks again,
Scott