[cups.general] driver selection for epson stylus cx6600

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Fri Jul 22 06:55:15 PDT 2011

Matthew Monaco wrote:

> I've always been confused about which driver to choose for my Epson
> Stylus CX6600. When adding the printer I'm usually presented with
> (excluding the simplified versions):
>
> Epson Stylus CX6600 Foomatic/gutenprint-ijs (currently v5.2)
> Epson Stylus CX6600 CUPS+Gutenprint (currently v5.2.7)
>
> furthermore, there are usually multiple copies for the CUPS+Gutenprint
> driver.
>
> What's the difference here? Is this the correct place to ask?
I'd use the latest one (v5.2.7) or you can download one from:
  http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

I personally have always used the one from avasys. It is actually Epsons
support site. My CX6600 on works as a scanner now. The printer coper gave
up the ghost a year or two ago. When I was using it as a printer,
Gutenprint did not have a driver in their package.

Hope this helps.
--
Russ
openSUSE 11.4(2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop)|KDE Platform Version 4.6.5 (4.6.5)