lost tray selection ability

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jun 7 02:20:22 PDT 2011

Jeff wrote:

>> Looking into the sources of both Ghostscript's cups device (gs 8.64,
>> 8.71, 9.01) and CUPS' rastertohp (1.3.5, 1.4.5) filter gave no hints to
>> the cause of th issue.
>> So I'd suggest to set up a "printer" using the file device and otherwise
>> set up identical to the printer in question, switch the cups logging to
>> debug, print a sample exhibiting the issue, and then post (an URL to)
>> - the source file
>> - the PPD used
>> - the portion of the error_log containing the messages of the respective
>> job - the output file.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> I'm a little lost on how to do "this":
>
> "set up a "printer" using the file device and otherwise set up identical
> to the printer in question,"
>
> Here are my choices for 'add printer'
>
> Add Printer
> Local Printers: 	SCSI Printer
> Serial Port #1
> Discovered Network Printers: 	Photosmart 3200 series [41E83A] (HP HP
> Photosmart 3200 series)
> Other Network Printers: 	Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
> AppSocket/HP JetDirect
> LPD/LPR Host or Printer
> Internet Printing Protocol (http)
> Internet Printing Protocol (https)
> Backend Error Handler
>
> is it that last one you want me to use? Backend Error Handler?

First, make sure that your cupsd.conf contains the directive

FileDevice Yes

If not, add it and restart cupsd.

Then, when adding the file printer, select any of presented choices, but set
up the device URI as follows:

file:///var/tmp/test.out

and select and configure the printer's PPD as usual.
(the specified file name is arbitrary, but, as CUPS may be sandboxed on your
computer, you must specify a file in a directory cupsd is allowed to write
to).

Helge