[cups.general] Print formatted text to a kyocera printer

Berend De Schouwer berend.deschouwer at ucs-software.co.za
Tue Mar 22 03:17:24 PDT 2011

On 22/03/2011 10:41, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> the following does what I want, but by a total different way:

Well, that's good, isn't it?

> a2ps -1 -B -f 8.9 --borders=no -P pcopa4_V ~lza/lsmen/frapack.lst
>
> This converts ascii to portscript and sends it to the printer. What I
> initially wanted to tell cups to take the text and send it to the
> printer as 'formatted text' as the HP-UX printing system does. (See
> pcaps in previous e-mails).

If you want Cups to behave exactly like LPD on the network, please post
the relevant /etc/printcap section of the HP-UX machine.  I assume it's
running LPD since you referenced that RFC, and I also assume it has a
if= or of= section for that printer.  That will tell you which driver(s)
HP-UX is using.  Then look at lpadmin's -i option to use legacy drivers.

I don't really see the point of attempting byte-for-byte identical
network dumps.  LPD and Cups don't work the same, and that's a good
thing(tm)

The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or its subsidiaries.  Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other than the intended addressee is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail.  UCS Group Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.