Zebra printer Paper Error state and jobs stillgo through

JakeBurhls ssweeney at zebra.com
Mon Mar 28 08:34:43 PDT 2011

> On 24/03/2011 00:03, JakeBurhls wrote:
> > I have a Zebra printer that goes into a paper out error state and CUPS se=
> ems to ignore the Zebra printer's error state condition and sends the jobs =
> to the printer clearing it's queue when it should just hold the jobs rather=
>  than clear the the queue. This causes my Zebra printer to fill up it's pri=
> nter buffer and also causes it to lose partial print jobs. So my question i=
> s there a way to hold the print job or have a timeout setting that holds th=
> e printer job at a longer period of time i.e. longer than 2 minutes to allo=
> w more time to clear the paper out error on my printer?
>
> Only if the printer reports paper out correctly (in which case it should
> work by default).  I've got a couple of HP LaserJets that don't report
> paper out either.  Does Cups know that the printer has an error?  When
> the printer is out of paper, can you still send data to port 9100?
>
> I apologise for the disclaimer,
>

> The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the address=
> ee only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or i=
> ts subsidiaries.  Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other =
> than the intended addressee is prohibited.  If you are not the intended add=
> ressee please notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail.  UCS Gr=
> oup Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no lia=
> bility for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent othe=
> r than strictly for business purposes.

Thanks for the reply.
My Zebra printer sends a TCP Zerowindow message to tell CUPS that it's buffer is full and to stop sending jobs to the printer until the printer's buffer is cleared but this seems to be ignored when printing through socket port 9100 however for some reason it works LPD without a problem. My guess is that when printing LPD it does some sort of of status checking to see if it is ready to send a job. Data still can be sent through port 9100 to my Zebra printer but my printer's buffer is limited and gets full quick and I am sending a batch of jobs so I'm just looking for a way to set a timeout to stall the print job and wait for this paper error to be cleared rather than CUPS sending a job to the printer while it's buffer is full. Is there a way to setup such a timeout?