[cups.general] BROTHER MFC-9560CDW

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Oct 4 02:31:44 PDT 2011

Gerard Seibert wrote:

> I am trying to get a Brother MFC-9560CDW printer working on my
> FreeBSD-8.2 amd64 system.
>
> Cups detects the printer:

> Location:     Local Printer
> Driver:       Brother MFC-9560CDW CUPS (color, 2-sided printing)
> Connection:   lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
> Defaults:     job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
>
> I have seen this error message:
>
> Idle - "Filter "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/brlpdwrappermfc9560cdw"
> for printer "Brother_MFC-9560CDW" not available: No such file or
> directory"

I think you have configured the printer in CUPS with some PPD and in the PPD
the filter 'brlpdwrappermfc9560cdw' is configured; correct? If so, I can't
imagine that this filter exists for out beloved FreeBSD.

> I do not have that file on the system nor can I find out where to
> locate one.
>
> I can print a "Print self test page" which consists of three lines:
>
> Brother MFC-9560CDW
> 3010.106 5
> -888078254
>
> if I change the connection to: lpd://192.168.1.100/BINARY_P1 which is
> the actual address of the printer. However, I still cannot print a
> regular "test Page" nor print from any other application.

If your DNS resolves the name BRW0022587025CB to the IP addr 192.168.1.100
it makes no difference using either the name or the IP addr.

> This printer works fine when used with a Windows7 machine; so I am sure
> that it is working correctly.
>
> I really need some help here. I would hate to think I purchased an
> expensive paper weight.

If I were you, I would configure the printer without any PPD just as Generic
Postscript; maybe even without the LPD queue 'BINARY_P1' (from where you
have this name), but with the URI:

socket://192.168.1.100:9100/

(assuming that it accepts raw app protocol on port 9100, most of the devices
do); it will work, I think

        matthias