[cups.general] BROTHER MFC-9560CDW

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Oct 4 03:55:17 PDT 2011

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 02:31:44 -0700
Matthias Apitz articulated:

> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get a Brother MFC-9560CDW printer working on my
> > FreeBSD-8.2 amd64 system.
> >
> > Cups detects the printer:

> > Location:     Local Printer
> > Driver:       Brother MFC-9560CDW CUPS (color, 2-sided printing)
> > Connection:   lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
> > Defaults:     job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
> > sides=one-sided
> >
> > I have seen this error message:
> >
> > Idle - "Filter
> > "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/brlpdwrappermfc9560cdw" for printer
> > "Brother_MFC-9560CDW" not available: No such file or directory"
> >

> I think you have configured the printer in CUPS with some PPD and in
> the PPD the filter 'brlpdwrappermfc9560cdw' is configured; correct?
> If so, I can't imagine that this filter exists for out beloved
> FreeBSD.

Yes, I found the PPD file in the "cuspwrapper" directory in the driver
file I downloaded from Brother. That "brlpdwrappermfc9560cdw" file is
mentioned in it.

> > I do not have that file on the system nor can I find out where to
> > locate one.
> >
> > I can print a "Print self test page" which consists of three lines:
> >
> > Brother MFC-9560CDW
> > 3010.106 5
> > -888078254
> >
> > if I change the connection to: lpd://192.168.1.100/BINARY_P1 which
> > is the actual address of the printer. However, I still cannot print
> > a regular "test Page" nor print from any other application.
>
> If your DNS resolves the name BRW0022587025CB to the IP addr
> 192.168.1.100 it makes no difference using either the name or the IP
> addr.

It does resolve to it and it is working correctly now.

> > This printer works fine when used with a Windows7 machine; so I am
> > sure that it is working correctly.
> >
> > I really need some help here. I would hate to think I purchased an
> > expensive paper weight.
>
> If I were you, I would configure the printer without any PPD just as
> Generic Postscript; maybe even without the LPD queue
> 'BINARY_P1' (from where you have this name), but with the URI:
>
> socket://192.168.1.100:9100/
>
> (assuming that it accepts raw app protocol on port 9100, most of the
> devices do); it will work, I think

I have tried using the "GENERIC" cups PPD file, but then it will onlyh
print in basic B/W. I don't even know if it will support multiple fonts
like that. I will try your suggestion though. Microsoft apparently
prints to it using LPD as described above in RAW format.

Matthias, I am not familiar with how knowledgeable you are about
FreeBSD. Assuming you expertise exceeds mine, something that would not
be to hard to do, and if you were willing to assist me, I would like to
take a shot at converting the "cupswrapper" driver file that Brother
supplies to a format that FreeBSD can understand. Most of the problems
that I can readily ascertain with it are in regards to incorrect
paths.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net