[cups.general] Impact/managemnt of Solaris Patch Bundles to Cups (Ticket100711A)

Thomas Mieslinger thomas.mieslinger at 1und1.de
Fri Oct 7 09:37:05 PDT 2011

On 10/ 7/11 04:47 PM, ed smith wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> What is your method for management of OS patches to Unix environments? Whenever we apply patch bundles to our Solaris 10 systems, they often times overlay the various CUPS utilities with native Solaris versions- (lp, lpstat, cancel, enable, etc ) or change the links. The man pages get stomped on as well. I currently manually repair this, using detailed reference info. However, this is cumbersome. We have 200+ production printers around the country, so impact is great if I miss something. Surely others are faced with this same issue. What are the "best practices" today?
>
> Thanks!
> Ed Smith McQuay

Back then when I replaced Solaris Printing on Solaris 9 with cups I
first uninstalled all Solaris Printing related packages ( prgrm
SUNWmpfilter and so on). Then I installed my created solaris package of
cups.

Patching Systems was never a problem because if SUNWmpfilter is not
installed patches for it are not installed too.

Thomas

--
Thomas Mieslinger

1&1 Internet AG - IT Operations Data Services Infrastructure
Brauerstraße 48 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374 4404
thomas.mieslinger at 1und1.de

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Robert
Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Christian Kugelmeier,
Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen