CUPS+HPLIP Laser printer print one page at time in multiple copies or multi multiple pages documents

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Sep 13 06:21:32 PDT 2011

Rollo Tommasi wrote:

> I need to print documents in multiple copies or docs with multiple pages
> using a HP LaserJet CP2025N laser printer and CUPS+HPLIP, but it seems
> that the printer get only one page at time, this means that all the times
> it finishes to print a page, it starts to wait the page after and in the
> meantime it puts its harware in "sleep mode", wasting 6-9 sec at page.
>
> I get this issue only with CUPS+HPLIP driver; with Win NT6.0 + HP
> Universal Printing PS driver printer prints all the pages in the same
> session/jobs whitout any interruptions between a page ad another.
>
> Watching the process with htop -d 0.2 -u lp confirm that ghostscript
> sessions elaborates one page at time during all printing session.
>
> I use cups package of debian squeeze (latest stable) 1.4.4-7 and HPLIP
> ver. 3.11.5-1.1.
>
> $ lpoptions -d laserjet
>
> auth-info-required=none copies=1
> device-uri=hp:/net/HP_Color_LaserJet_CP2025n?ip=192.168.*.* finishings=3
> job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none
> marker-change-time=0 number-up=1
> printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='HP
> LaserJet CP2025N' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true
> printer-location=Ufficio printer-make-and-model='HP Color LaserJet cp2025
> pcl3, hpcups 3.11.5' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1315906290
> printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8556556
> printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/LaserJet
>
> $ lpoptions -d laserjet -l
>
> PageSize/Media Size: Card3x5 Hagaki Photo4x6 A6 Photo5x7 Card5x8 Oufuku A5
> B5 JB5 Executive 16k Letter *A4 ExecutiveJIS FLSA Legal EnvA2 EnvC6
> EnvChou4 EnvMonarch EnvDL Env10 EnvChou3 EnvC5 EnvB5 Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT
> Duplex/Double-Sided Printing: DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble *None
> InputSlot/Media Source: *Auto PhotoTray Upper Lower Envelope LargeCapacity
> Manual MPTray ColorModel/Output Mode: Gray *RGB MediaType/Media Type:
> *Plain Glossy OutputMode/Print Quality: *Normal Draft Best
> OptionDuplex/Duplexer Installed: *False True
>
> Someone have any idea to force HPLIP or CUPS to elaborate all the pages
> and send them to the printer in the same time? Thanks.

As this printer natively supports PostScript (the spec says "HP PostScript 3
emulation", buth that is perfectly OK), reconfigure the printer using the
PostScript PPD (I'd prefer the HP supplied PPD over the foomatic generated
one available at openprinting.org). Then the processing of the print job and
submitting to the printer will occur in parallel.

Helge