CUPS+HPLIP Laser printer print one page at time in multiple copies or multi multiple pages documents

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Sep 13 09:11:16 PDT 2011

Rollo Tommasi wrote:

> Hi Helge,
>
> many thanks for the reply.
>
> Il 13/09/2011 15.21, Helge Blischke ha scritto:
>>
>> As this printer natively supports PostScript (the spec says "HP
>> PostScript 3 emulation", buth that is perfectly OK), reconfigure the
>> printer using the PostScript PPD
>
> Ok, I changed PPD from PCL3 to postscript now, but the issue still remain.
>
> $ lpoptions -d laserjet
> auth-info-required=none copies=1
> device-uri=hp:/net/HP_Color_LaserJet_CP2025n?ip=192.168.*.* finishings=3
> job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none
> marker-change-time=0 number-up=1
> printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='HP
> LaserJet CP2025N' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true
> printer-location=Ufficio printer-make-and-model='HP Color LaserJet CP2020
> Series Postscript (recommended)' printer-state=3
> printer-state-change-time=1315928134 printer-state-reasons=none
> printer-type=8556620
> printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/LaserJet
>
>> (I'd prefer the HP supplied PPD over the foomatic generated
>> one available at openprinting.org).
>
> Ok, but at this time site seems down due to the last attack at kernel.org.
> When they finishes to reinstall all the servers.. maybe.. :)
>
>> Then the processing of the print job and
>> submitting to the printer will occur in parallel.
>
> But changing the PPD is sufficent to fix the issue? Could you explain me
> better? Thanks.

Of course you need to restart CUPS after making such changes.
To dig deeper into the issue, pelase do the following:

1) cupsctl --debug-logging
2) print a test job (more than one page, please)
3) after the job has been finished, do
    cupsctl --no-debug-logging
4) post (an URL to) both the PPD used and the portion of the error_log
   containing the messages related to the test job.

Helge