CUPS+HPLIP Laser printer print one page at time in multiple copies or multi multiple pages documents

Rollo Tommasi rollo at bmlabs.net
Wed Sep 14 08:35:22 PDT 2011

Il 14/09/2011 15.11, Helge Blischke ha scritto:

> First, the error_log you posted mentions a HP proprietary(?) filter which is
> not part of standard CUPS.

Do you mean /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp? It's a part of HPLIP debian package:

Package: hplip
Version: 3.11.5-1.1
Installed-Size: 544
Maintainer: Debian HPIJS and HPLIP maintainers <pkg-hpijs-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: i386

> And the PPD you posted does not request such a
> filter. Is it possible that the PPD you really use is different from that
> you posted?

I posted the PPD that appears in the log:

D [13/Sep/2011:18:49:46 +0200] [Job 2778] envp[20]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/LaserJet.ppd"

The PPD file has the same created date of when I changed PPD from PCL3 to PS on cups http interface.

> Second, from your log I learn that the printer is configured using the hp
> backend. I looked into the source of this backend (a fairly recent version)
> and found nothing that could explain the 5 zo 6 second delay between pages -
> unless the printout is generated by an application that generates an
> individual print job vor every page (I know this behaviour from some weird
> Windows applications, but ...).

Ach! I should use FPDF (an pdf creator opensource php library) to generated the pdf file passed on STDIN to lp.

Ok, now I made other two test (using lp command this time), one with an normal multi pages pdf document and another with the FPDF one:

normal -> http://pastebin.com/Kz7cq2vp
fpdf -> http://pastebin.com/mthrQF2q

Both logs are different from the first that I posted, and the fpdf one has the issue, but why?

Thanks for your time Helge.

--
Regards,
Rollo