CUPS prints PDF's as white page on Brother printer

Walter Hop cups at spam.lifeforms.nl
Fri Apr 27 03:03:22 PDT 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply :) I only just got around to test it all out,
sorry I'm late.

1. I am not sure if the Brother printer supports real Postscript,
though with CUPS' generic PS driver it seems to accept whatever I
throw at it, it's just that margins/tray control are off. I've now
tried pxlmono.ppd (HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS) as you suggested,
and have gotten some interesting results:
- For SOME documents, it seems to print correctly
- For other documents, it's OK but I get an empty sheet afterwards
- For other documents, I get a page with the following error:
  ERROR: ioerror
  OFFENDING COMMAND:
  --nostringval--
  STACK:
  -mark-
  -mark-
  -mark-

2. I tried to run pdftops manually after googling its arguments. I
tried the following:

  /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/pdftops 1 walter '' 1 '' < test.pdf >
test.ps
  /usr/local/bin/lp -oraw -d Brother < test.ps
 => only an empty page comes out

I'm not sure what this signifies, but it does replicate the results I
am having with normal printing from CUPS. The .ps file seems okay to
me (I can open it normally in Ghostscript for Windows).

All in all, the pxlmono.ppd seems a bit worse than the generic PS
driver, producing sometimes weird results. I've tried printing the
offending pdf's via CUPS to a different printer (HP using the generic
PS driver) with no problems, so the .pdf files seem okay to me...

Any further debugging tips would be much appreciated :)

Kind regards,
WH