[cups.general] Queue names are inadequate and not changable

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Aug 1 00:48:20 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Jul 31 10:58 John Bowling wrote (excerpt):
> ... with an HP-LaserJet-Professional-M1212-MFP
> with both USB and LAN queues, I cannot set the name
> to show me the difference between them
> openSUSE 12.1
> CUPS takes the descriptive string from the printer
> exactly and adds a -2 at the end

I cannot imagine what happens on your particular system, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue

In CUPS you can set the print queue name to what you want
(with some reasonable syntactical limits).

I don't know a printer setup tool where you cannot specify
the queue name as you like.

But there are tools that do full automated printer setup
and then you cannot specify the queue name,
have a look at "Automated Printer Configuration" in
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Printer

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner