Setting up a print queue with a script that forwards to another CUPS printer

Kaelin Colclasure kaelin at acm.org
Thu Aug 16 19:02:28 PDT 2012

I am trying to configure a Mac OS X print queue so that a script can do some processing on each file printed before forwarding it on to another CUPS printer (on the same host).

I have been reading up on CUPS and have found an article describing how to use lpadmin to configure a queue with a "System V style interface script", but the caveat is that such a queue is seen as a "Generic Printer". I presume that means the user looses all ability to choose paper trays, etc. when submitting a job from the Print dialog. Is that correct?

[That makes this approach a non-starter for me, because the final destination is a POS receipt printer with non-standard paper sizes and print job options for cutting the paper roll, opening the cash drawer, etc.]

Is there a better way to accomplish my goal, which is simply to run a script on each receipt printed through a particular queue?

TIA,

-- Kaelin