[cups.general] PIN printing for privacy (Linux)

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sat Feb 18 13:48:22 PST 2012

Op 17-02-12 19:28, James Cloos schreef:
>> I am looking for a volume color MFP what can do PIN printing.
>
> In theory, any of the higher-end PostScript-capable printers should
> support that.  (Higher end probably translates into > USD/EUR 1000.)

The printer used now is an expensive HP. But HP does not support it. See
this: https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/164667

> Xerox's ppd for their Phaser8560 contains code to (optionally) set a 4
> digit pin.  The current lineup (colorqube and such) should as well.

There was also tried a Xerox. People from Xerox did not get it working.

> IIRC, the Richos (with the Postscript option) support pins via their ppds.

I spoke to Ricoh and Lexmark, and they told me they cannot do it.

> In short, if the ppd has UI elements to enter a pin, and if the printer
> can print postscript, the CUPS workflow should Just Work.

Hmm, interesting. Where can I find more info?

BTW: the people from Kyocera-Mita told me they can do it, but their
system seems to be OS-independent. I've also heard from someone where it
works with a Canon.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

http://www.vandervlis.nl