Can't get list of printer drivers after upgrade to OPENSuse 12.1

jeff jharan at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 15:23:14 PST 2012

Hi,

I recently upgraded my PC from OPENSuse 11.2 to OPENSuse 12.1. Now I can't add my printer via http://localhost:631. The printer is recognized, but it says "Unable to get list of printer drivers".

The printer is a EPSON Stylus C88. It worked fine with the older OPENSuse version. I have gutenprint installed and its website claims support for this printer:

jeff at C1003694-A:~/Documents> rpm -qa | grep guten
gutenprint-5.2.7-13.1.2.i586
jeff at C1003694-A:~/Documents>

Below I detail what I did to attempt to add this printer.

Browse to http://localhost:631 via Firefox.

I click "CUPS For Administrators" -> "Adding Printers and Classes"

I click "Printers" "Add Printer" button

It brings up window "Add Printer" and it shows my printer as one of the choices:

Local Printers:         EPSON Stylus C88 LPT #1 (EPSON Stylus C88)
                        HP Printer (HPLIP)
                        HP Fax (HPLIP)

I click the radio button next to EPSON Stylus C88 then the Continue button.

I brings up window "Add Printer":

Add Printer
Name:   EPSON_Stylus_C88
(May contain any printable characters except "/", "#", and space)
(Human-readable description such as "HP LaserJet with Duplexer")
Location:
(Human-readable location such as "Lab 1")
Connection:     parallel:/dev/lp0
Sharing:        Share This Printer

I don't click the "Share This Printer" radio button
I click the Continue button at the bottom
After many seconds I get this:

Add Printer EPSON_Stylus_C88 Error

Unable to get list of printer drivers:

    Unknown

Add Printer EPSON_Stylus_C88 Error

Unable to get list of printer drivers:

    Unknown

The only thing that shows up new in /var/log/cups/error_log are a bunch of lines that looks like this:

W [25/Feb/2012:14:53:35 -0800] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hp/HP_Color_LaserJet_4730_MFP.ppd.gz!

but they are all complaining about models under /usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hp. No warnings related to my Epson printer.

Any clues as to how I can debug this further appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran