[cups.general] What sets FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed May 30 01:07:30 PDT 2012

Hello,

On May 29 21:10 Paul Conklin wrote (excerpt):
> why the filter chain seems to keep changing

The filter chain depends on input data type and print queue
(more precisely the final data type which the printer needs)
so that for same input data type and same print queue
the filter chain should not change - provided there is not
whatever black magic that changes the *types and *convs
files (in /etc/cups/ and also in /usr/share/cups/mime/)
which define the possible filter chains - at least this is
how I understand how it works.

> it seems the FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE keeps changing from
> application/<printer name> to application/vnd.cups.postscript

Off the top of my head I don't know the details of the underlying
mechanism how FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE is set, I found it mentioned in
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/spec-ppd.html
and in
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/api-filter.html

Perhaps this might help you a bit to find out what exactly
goes on on your system.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner