[cups.general] how to get printers on mac os 10.8 from a linuxcups in a different subnet

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Nov 9 05:22:14 PST 2012

Johannes,

On 2012-11-09, at 7:03 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
> FYI:
>
> Perhaps also mDNS is not yet an ideal solution for bigger networks?

mDNS is designed for small/home networks.  DNS is designed for bigger networks.

Bonjour/Zeroconf use both mDNS (for local lookups) and DNS (for wider lookups) to find services registered via DNS (aka DNS Service Discovery or DNS-SD).

There is a new working group being proposed in the IETF to simplify the automatic configuration of traditional DNS infrastructure for DNS-SD, as well as addressing issues for mesh networks and other configurations where mDNS and DNS do not scale well:

	https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/mdnsext/

We are also planning on re-introducing LDAP and SLP support, this time using the standard schemas, which will work well for folks with ActiveDirectory in particular.  I don't have a specific timeframe that I can reveal quite yet, but we are keenly aware of the difficulties of manually configuring DNS zone files and want to do something about it.

In any case, I will note that CUPS browsing has/had all of the same problems as mDNS PLUS not providing an answer for hostname resolution and being really really bad for wireless networks and power/bandwidth/CPU usage.  It was a good idea back in 1997 when I first came up with it, but computers and networks have changed dramatically in the last 15 years.