[cups.general] cannot connect to CUPS server

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 20 06:01:23 PDT 2012

Mark,

The way shared printers are handled on OS X is with local PPDs that have passthrough filters defined for the standard formats (application/postscript, application/pdf, text/plain, image/jpeg, image/png); you can copy the PPD from the server and change the cupsFilter lines to be:

    *cupsFilter: "application/pdf 0 -"
    *cupsFilter: "application/postscript 0 -"
    *cupsFilter: "image/jpeg 0 -"
    *cupsFilter: "image/png 0 -"
    *cupsFilter: "text/plain 0 -"

Then add the printer using the modified PPD pointing to the remote queue.