[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Thu Mar 14 07:47:45 PDT 2013

On 14 March 2013 22:37, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> You can't point ServerName to a printer, just to a CUPS server.

Oh OK.

> When you setup a print queue the best way is using Bonjour - then the discovery provides all of the necessary information.  Otherwise you might try looking on the printer's web page or print a network configuration page from the control panel to see what URI to use.

If I knew the ipp address, lets say ipp://192.168.1.5/printers/foobar,
then I could deploy an image to a customer with a printers.conf and a
postcript PPD, couldn't I? Using 1.5.

>     http://www.opensource.apple.com/tarballs/mDNSResponder/

So IIUC this project can implement that Bonjour discovery on Linux? As
an alternative to the typical Avahi deployments in distributions.

Kind regards,