[cups.general] 1.6x IPP printer detection

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Tue Mar 19 22:48:38 PDT 2013

On 14 March 2013 23:21, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> Do you have an example for me to use as a guide please?
> #!/bin/sh
> cat >tempfile-$$.ppd <<EOF
> CONTENTS OF PPD GO HERE
> EOF
> lpadmin -p printername -E -v ipp://foo/bar -i tempfile-$$.ppd
> rm -f tempfile-$$.ppd

I've implemented a printer=printer name,device URI,driver URI API, so
that my clients can pre-configure the printer and therefore avoiding
the expensive detection and "Add printer..." phases.

Documentation: http://webconverger.org/printing
MIT licensed code:
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/blob/master/etc/webc/live-config.sh#L120

Be great to get a review from CUPS upstream here. :-)

Of course the downside, is that my clients need to carefully manage
the IP of their printers and the accompanying driver.

Kind regards,