Printer configuration with "Dept. ID"

Raymond Wan rwan at cuhk.edu.hk
Sat Mar 23 09:31:05 PDT 2013

Hi Helge,

> Raymond Wan wrote:
> > I think the reason is that, under Windows, I need to add a 4-digit
> > password that is assigned to each person.  Under Windows 7, it is under
> > Job type | Department Counter | Department ID | Input when printing.  I'm
> > not sure if these options are specific to Windows 7 or part of the
> > printer's Windows drivers.  Obviously, it is a way of keeping track how
> > many pages each person has printed.
>
> AFAIK, cups currently does not support "secure printing" as you descibed. If
> you really cannot afford to disable this for Linux printing, drop me an e-
> mail for a description of how to get the information to mimik secure
> printing for at least a limited number of different "users" on Linux (h dot
> blischke at acm dot org).

Thank you for your reply!  Sorry for my long-winded explanation, but as you can tell, I didn't know what this feature was called.  "Secure printing" ... thank you for letting me know!  I didn't think it could be that "Department ID" that's in the Windows 7 printing options...

As for disabling it, I forgot to mention that I'm not the administrator of the printer.  I'm just the only one trying to print to the printer under Linux.  So, I'm the only one in the office facing this problem and I can't disable it -- it is set at the printer for everyone.

I'll send the e-mail off to you after I try searching on the Web for "secure printing" and my printer model.  Thanks!

Ray