[cups] cups 2.0.2 / cups-filters-1.0.62 && printing UTF-8 text files

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Feb 12 01:14:01 PST 2015

Hello,

At the moment we are using in production environment cups 1.4.3 together
with some special font files and 'texttops' which makes use of them to
produce Postscript printouts of not all, but sufficient European and some
other languages.

I'm on the way to prepare an update to a more recent version and have
ported cups-2.0.2 and cups-filters-1.0.62 to one of our Linux SLES 11
hosts here.

Btw: This took some time because the latter (cups-filters-1.0.62) is only
happy with a very recent GCC version, you need at least GCC-4.7 (I used
4.9).

I have now both running and after solving a bug in lib/cups/filter/texttops
it is now willing to print at least some text files. I have here a PDF
scan to show which UTF-8 codepoints are printable via 'texttopdf ...'
pipe line, or better which are not:

http://www.unixarea.de/SOH-1-2-MF15021209520.pdf

The bug in lib/cups/filter/texttops is simple (and yes I know, it is
depreciated, but at least it should work if it is delivered). See below.

Saying 'depreciated' is fine, but what is now the supposed way to print
UTF-8 text files or is that no longer scope of CUPS or cups-filters and
we should move to something like Pango to render UTF-8 text to
Postscript or PDF?

Thanks for any pointer.

	matthias

# diff /usr/local/cups/lib/cups/filter/texttops*
22c22
< PDF2PS=`which pdftops`
---
> PDF2PS=`which pdf2ps`
37c37
< `dirname $0`/texttopdf "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$5" | $PDF2PS - - - - -
---
> `dirname $0`/texttopdf "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$5" | $PDF2PS - -

Vy 73

         matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
La referencia de la Duma a la anexión de la RDA, en este caso al contrario con la Crimlía sin