[cups] Difficulty in Adding a printer

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Fri Jan 16 07:16:11 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 09:27:40AM +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> only an addendum FYI:
>
> On Jan 15 23:40 G.W. Haywood wrote (excerpt):
> >On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Alan McConnell wrote:
> >
> >>...  If any other member of this E-list has a Brother printer and
> >>can offer suggestions, I'd welcome it.
> >
> >Sell it and get something from HP.
>
> Not just "something" from HP, see
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/unsupported.html

	Gentlemen!  first, thanks for your advice.  Second:  I think
	HP is a wonderful company.  Way back at the turn of the
	century I bought, for very little money, and for sentimental
	reasons, a wonderful old HP LaserJet, Series II.  It weighed
	a ton, but printed for me fine for a decade and a half.  I
	finally had to get rid of it when I lost a bunch of backed-up
	data, including the driver for this ancient machine.  Of
	course, HP doesn't support a LaserJet, Series II, any more.

	Third: a bunch of people on my local Linux E-list said that
	they loved their Brother printer.  Which is why I bought
	the Brother that I did.  They said, and I have found it to
	be true, that Brother supports Linux, in a limited way.
	For instance: I was able to go to a Brother site and
	download a .dib file containing the driver for my particular
	model.  Brother is CUPS-aware.

	Finally:  it is great to have a bunch of printers to choose
	from, IMHO.  I am making progress in getting my new Brother
	printer to work, and I shall do what one customer can to
	get Brother to support Linux even further.

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
       We live in a world that is full of mistaken policies, but they