[cups] Documentation about CUPS usb quirks usage?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 2 05:37:48 PDT 2015

Hello,

is there explanatory documentation about CUPS usb quirks?

With explanatory documentation I mean in particular
which CUPS usb quirk should help to "cure" or at least
hide what particular USB printer issue.

Ideally I would like to have some kind of FAQ with a list
of currently known USB printer symptoms and what CUPS
usb quirk should usually help then.

Up to now I only know the comments in org.cups.usb-quirks
but they do not explain when what CUPS usb quirk might help
(also the implementation in backend/usb-libusb.c
does not tell when what CUPS usb quirk should help).

My problem is that my own USB printers "just work" with
the libusb-based 'usb' backend but few users report issues
that their USB printers do not work at all or not reliable.

Because I cannot reproduce their USB printer issues
I don't know what I could tell them which CUPS usb quirk
might help in which case or when it is hopeless to use
a "USB making-dots-on-paper device" as a USB printer.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)